The foundation for the formation of the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction was laid in 1907 when Senior Bishop C. H. Mason sent Elder Chandler C. Frederick to Pennsylvania. Under his leadership, the First Church of God in Christ was established in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The church was formally organized in 1924 and its original building was a converted stable at 2502 Centre Avenue. Though few in number, the membership was on fire for the Lord. They held revivals, and tent meetings (for example, on Tannehill Street), evangelized on the coal fields, and spread the good news about Jesus Christ and His redemptive power. As a result of the tireless work of those early pioneers, many souls came to Christ. This church grew to have over four hundred members during the World War I era.
Another significant event that impacted the work was the establishment of the first holiness church in Steelton, Pennsylvania in the home of Mother Lena Hurst. The late Elder J. W. Simon became the leader of this work, which was later named Emmanuel Church of God in Christ. By the year of 1925, the Church of God in Christ in Pennsylvania had grown to eleven churches.
In 1933, Overseer Jones and four other men became the first and original five Overseers consecrated by Bishop C.H. Mason to the office of Bishop. Although five men were consecrated, Bishop Jones was the first to have hands laid on him by Bishop Mason. Under the work of Bishop Jones, Sr., the Church of God in Christ of Pennsylvania grew.
The Church of God in Christ of Pennsylvania remained as one jurisdiction until 1949 when it was divided into two jurisdictions. These jurisdictions would be known as Eastern Pennsylvania Jurisdiction and Western Pennsylvania Jurisdiction. Bishop O.T. Jones, Sr., then became the Jurisdictional Bishop of Eastern Pennsylvania, and Elder G.E. Vaughn was appointed as the Jurisdictional Bishop of Western Pennsylvania on December 12, 1949, at the 42nd International Holy Convocation in Memphis, Tennessee.
In 1962, Bishop O.T. Jones, Sr. succeeded Senior Bishop C.H. Mason, after his home-going, becoming the second Senior Bishop of the Church of God in Christ. At no time did he give up any of his offices. His administration as Senior Bishop was initially smooth and progressive Although there were conflicts later in his term, Bishop Jones served, as he always did, with the spirit of holiness and excellence. In 1964, the Eastern Pennsylvania Jurisdiction, under the leadership of Senior Bishop Jones, became known as the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Jurisdiction.
On Saturday, September 23, 1972, our beloved Senior Bishop Jones passed away after a long life of servitude. But God did not leave the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without a leader. In 1973, Rev. Dr. O.T. Jones, Jr. was consecrated as the Jurisdictional Bishop. Like his father before him, Bishop Jones Jr. served with the spirit of holiness and excellence. The jurisdiction grew in number and in influence. In 1980, he was elected to the General Board of the Church of God in Christ. And in 1997, Bishop Jones was appointed to the office of Second Assistant Presiding Bishop, serving under Presiding Bishop Chandler D. Owens.